Monday, October 20, 2014

Fight for Breast Cancer Awareness!

It's October and it's not just about Halloween but Breast Cancer Awareness. This month is THE month to make people aware of breast cancer. This topic is rather dear to my heart because I lost my grandmother to it. Though it saddens me, it also gives me the strength to speak passionately about it. Did you know that breast cancer is most common cancer seen in woman other than skin cancer? In fact,  if you live in the US, women have a 1 in 8 chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer can also effect men, though lower at risk, shouldn't be overlooked. Women, on the other hand, account for 29% of new diagnoses of this form of cancer every year. Surprised? I was! Now, what about age? In the most recent study I could find, 88% of breast cancer death occur in women at 50 or older, however this does not mean you shouldn't get yearly checkups and watch for changes in your body. Doctors strongly encourage for women & men to be aware of changes in their bodies. If you would like more information about this topic please visit here: American Cancer Society: Breast Cancer

There could be dark days ahead for some of us women, but losing a battle doesn't mean the war is over.  Make a difference today, become aware and encourage others to do the same. 1 in 8 people you tell could be saving their life.

To honor my grandmother, others who are fighting for their life, those who've died, and those who've survived from breast cancer, I dedicate this picture to you. When in darkness you are the light, the ones who fought on, unwilling to yield, and carry the memories of all those who love you.





No comments:

Post a Comment